Thank you for registering for
IPI Practical Skills: Basic Application Preparation
This course is designed to help you gain a basic understanding of applications for four common immigration benefits often assigned to new DOJ accredited representatives.
40-hour basic immigration law training, such as IMMIGRANT PATHWAY Institute or equivalent.
- Gain familiarity with common applications family-based immigration benefits.
- Analyze scenarios to understand risks and eligibility for the benefits.
- Understand the USCIS application process for the benefits.
- Understand the documentation needed to support each type of application.
- Green Card Renewal
- Visa Petition
- Adjustment of Status
- Research. Each unit includes reading assignments from sources like the USCIS website and A Guide for Immigration Advocates by the ILRC. The reading will help you understand the requirements and process to apply for a benefit.
- Case Review. Read the case file provided for the unit. The case file includes everything you will need to evaluate the case and complete the application.
- Assessment. Complete the Google Forms assessment for the unit using the research materials and case file. This will test your understanding of the client’s eligibility and the application procedure. The assessment is self-grading and will provide you with immediate feedback before you begin the application assignment.
- Application. Use the case file to compile a complete application packet. Download and complete any forms. Fill in the template cover letter, including a list of all forms and documents you would include with the application.
- Case Note. Write a case note that includes a description of the work you did on the case, your assessment of the client’s eligibility and risks, the advice you would give the client, and any next steps.
Please complete the units in order. An instructor will provide you with feedback on your assignments within one week of submission. The instructor may request that you revise the assignment based on their feedback.
To receive a certificate of completion students must:
- Complete all required reading assignments
- Complete and submit all required applications and exercises
- Complete and submit revisions of any applications or assignments, as requested by the instructor.
All assignments must be completed by the course deadline: May 16, 2022.
Accessing Class Materials
- Open a web browser and enter https://classroom.google.com/
- Either login with an existing Google Account, or create a new Google Account.
- Enter the class code: ietqsft
- The code is case sensitive. If you copy-and-paste, be sure there are no spaces before or after the code.
- At the top of the page, click Classwork for a list of units and assignments.
All assignments are submitted through Google Classroom.
- Assessments are completed using Google Forms. Open the [unit] Assessment assignment on Google Classroom, then click the link to open Google Forms. After submitting your answers, click View Score for corrections. You will also receive an email with your answers and corrections.
- Application packet documents should be uploaded to Google Classroom.
- Download the “[unit] Cover Letter Template” from the sample case file and the forms from the USCIS website.
- Fill them out and save them on your computer.
- Open the Google Classroom assignment called Complete a [unit] application packet (click View Assignment).
- Click Add to upload the completed documents.
- Click TURN IN to alert the grader that you have completed the assignment.
- Case notes are typed directly into the Case Note assignments on Google Classroom.
Questions and Discussion
Use the Google Classroom chat and comments features to discuss assignments with students and presenters.
- Add a comment or question to an individual assignment by opening it and clicking “Add class comment.”
- Add a general comment or question by clicking on “Stream” at the top of the page, then clicking “Share something with your class…”
You may request a one-on-one coaching call with one of the instructors.
- On Google Classroom, click Classwork, then click Class Information.
- Click the link for Coaching Call Request, then fill out and submit the Google Form. List at least 3 dates and times you are available for a call.
- An instructor will contact you with an appointment time and instructions.